A long time ago, i decided to make my own tribute to this genious young man, and share with the world my love for his music and soul. To all of Jeff Buckley fans, with love.

terça-feira, 13 de março de 2012

In Memory of Jeff Buckley

Since Jeff Buckley's death, there have been quite a few songs written in tribute to him by artists who consider themselves fans.

  • Juliana Hatfield's "Trying Not to Think About It" from 1997's Please Do Not Disturb
  • Duncan Sheik's "A Body Goes Down" from 1998's Humming
    When asked if it was a conscious thing to give an eastern flavor to the song:
    "Definitely... I know that he was, like, a big fan of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and he was listening to a lot of that kind of music. There's also just a really mournful quality to that kind of string playing."

  • Zita Swoon's (of Antwerp, Belgium) "Song for a Dead Singer" on 1998's I Paint Pictures on a Wedding Dress
  • Chris Cornell's "Wave Goodbye" on his 1999 solo album, Euphoria Morning
  • Sister 7's (Austin, Texas) "By Yourself", which they often play live
  • Heather Nova's "Valley of Sound" from 1998's Siren
  • Ron Sexsmith's "In a Flash" from Whereabouts
  • Aimee Mann's "Just Like Anyone":
    "This is a song I wrote when Jeff Buckley died...I hadn't known Jeff extremely well, but we kept bumping into each other here and there. One night we met for a drink at a pub in NYC, and started writing messages to each other on a paper place mat that was there, instead of talking, because the music in the bar was really loud or something. An interesting effect of that was that we found ourselves writing things that we would never would dare to say to each other out loud. I remember thinking that he seemed to be sort of lost and sad although he outwardly was very funny and lively and confident, and wrote something about that, among another things. I didn't talk to him for a long time after that-I went to England to live for a while and we talked once or twice and then nothing for over a year. Then one night I got a voice mail message from him that said, "I just realized what you were trying to tell me that night". I tried to call him back but the number I had for him was old, and then I got his new number but I was out of town again and it was difficult to call, and then I heard that he was missing, and presumed dead." -- Aimee

Albums dedicated to Jeff's memory include:
  • Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party - The Supreme Collection Volume 1:
      "This album is dedicated to the memory of Jeff Buckley."

  • Brenda Kahn - Hunger
      "I would also like to thank my friend Jeff Buckley who showed me how pure music could be, how to seek joy and embrace life, and to dedicate this record to the memory of him."

  • Gary Lucas - At Paradiso
      "This project is dedicated to the memory of Jeff Buckley"

  • Penny Arcade - Bad Reputation
      "Dedicated to the spirit, beauty, and force of love that is Jeff Buckley (1966-1997) -- you saw it coming, you laid the groundwork, I know you hear it."
       

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário